Tuesday 28 September 2010

Homemade Passata

I was going to make tomato soup but something put me off.  Plus this is the easiest way to make passata!


Ingredients

Ripe tomatoes (at least 1.5kg)
For every 1.5kg of tomatoes, use:-
1 small red onion, very thinly sliced then diced
2 tbsp olive oil (I used the oil from these)
3 cloves of garlic
2 large pinches of sea salt

Method

1, Turn on the slow cooker to high. 
2, Wash the tomatoes well and cut out any blemishes
3, Fry off the onion and the garlic in the olive oil until soft in a frying pan.  Stir in the salt and transfer into the slow cooker. 
4, Tip in the tomatoes
5, Leave for about couple of hours, stirring every hour or so. Depending how many tomatoes your using and the power of your slow cooker this can change everytime
6, Remove from the slow cooker and leave to cool slightly. 
7, Press the tomatoes through a metal sieve and return to the slow cooker.
8, Heat back through and reduce to a passata like consistency before decanting into sterilised bottles or Tupperware to freeze. 
It’ll last for about a month in the fridge or three months frozen

4 comments:

  1. I love slow cooker recipes! I am putting this recipe on my must make list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mam loves slow cooking, im sure il love it one day too...!

    This sounds savage though, anything with stewed tomaters is a yes please from me :_D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the easiest way to get rid of tomato glut! I made two batches over two days and now have a healthy stock in the freezer for winter! Thanks for the comments =D

    ReplyDelete