Saturday 6 November 2010

Tomato Soup Cake





About a month and a bit ago I was trying to figure out what to do with a huge tomato glut.  Soup seemed like a good idea, I could freeze it and it would be lovely for the impending winter, and so I duly started to type into a search engine.  I love some of the things that google suggestions pings up (see here!) but this suggestion…



… put me off making soup.  I ended up with chutney and passata.  But the tomato soup cake seed had been planted and with the massive amount of rave reviews on recipes from allrecipes.com, I knew I had to give it a go…

Adapted from this recipe

Ingredients
165gr butter (melted and cooled)
300gr plain flour
2 ½ tsp of baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
¾ tsp ground ginger
1 ½ tsp ground cloves
300gr caster sugar
1 x 400gr can of soup
3 eggs
65gr raisins

Method

1, Preheat oven to 190o/c (gas mark 5)

2, Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and spices together in one bowl

3, In another bowl whisk eggs, soup and butter together until smooth

4, Gently combine the two bowls together and stir in the raisins. 

5, Pour into a lined or greased baking tin (I used a 10inch bundt tin, absolutely nothing to do with the fact my Lakeland order got delivered yesterday *cough cough*)

6, Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean.

7, Leave to cool before icing.  I used a thickened glace icing due to lack of time but the prescribed cream cheese icing would be delicious!



3 comments:

  1. But what did it taste like? I can imagine tomatoes and spices could be really good in a cake, but ....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, don't you love those crazy Americans and their love of putting weird packaged foods in cakes? (Sweeping generalisation I know, but if I had a chocolate button for every time I found a cake recipe with something odd out of a packet or tin in it...) But I am intrigued all the same, what DID it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry! Completely forgot to copy over the last bit of the post!
    It tastes nothing like tomato soup! It's quite spicy and very moist but nothing soupy about it at all, I managed to trick one of our friends on Saturday =D

    ReplyDelete