Wednesday 9 March 2011

Savoury Vegetable and Goats Cheese Pancakes

Did everyone have a lovely pancake day?



I meant to get this post up last night and then I meant to do it when I got in from work today but I got seriously side tracked with a job application (and a blog post about mushrooms, which I’ll get to later).

We had these courgette, mushroom, kale and goats cheese pancakes for main and then good old fashioned pancakes with lemon and sugar!  I used this recipe for pancakes.

Savoury Pancake Filling
(These are approximate weights and measures, I cook savoury food by eye and in handfuls, sorry!)

Ingredients (for two-ish)
6 closed cup mushrooms
Half a courgette
A large handful of kale
Soft goats cheese (as much as you fancy!)
Olive oil
Seasoning

Method
1, Make the pancakes and keep them warm in a low oven.  Try not to leave these hanging around for too long or they will dry out.
2, Slice the mushrooms and finely julienne the courgette.  Fry the mushrooms with a little bit of olive oil until lightly browned.  Tip in the courgette and add in a couple of table spoons of water until the courgettes are a little cooked.  Sorry I’m naff at this savoury cooking malarkey.  I mean cook them to how you like them.  Some people like them cooked to death, I like mine with a bit of bite.  Remove them from the heat and keep to one side
3, Blanch the kale in salted boiling water and strain well.  Shake out as much water as possible.
4, Put one of your precooked pancakes back into a clean frying pan over a medium heat. 
5, Put your goats cheese and half the cooked vegetables onto one side of the pancake, season it if you want to, and flip the other side over it.  Heat it through until the cheese has slightly melted. 
6, Eat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment