Friday 10 February 2012

Plumble Cake

I know. Plum Crumble Cake would probably have been a better name for this cake.

Following on in a similar vein to a blackberry crumble cake I made a while ago, I had some wilty looking golden plums that were destined for a cakey domain. This is a great way to use up little bits of fruit you have laying around.

Ingredients

Cakey Base
125gr butter
125gr golden caster sugar
2 eggs
1/2tsp vanilla extract
125gr self raising flour
1tsp baking powder

4 plums, destoned and cut into 8ish segments

Crumble Topping
40gr plain flour
40gr dark soft brown sugar
25gr ground almonds
15gr cold butter

Method
1, Preheat your oven to 170o/c and grease or line a deep 30cm by 19cm baking tin.
2, Beat together the butter and sugar until very pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs with a tablespoon of the flour to stop it curdling. Mix in the vanilla extract.
3, Sift in the rest of the flour and add the baking powder and fold in gently. Pour this into your prepared tin and scatter (or very neatly, depending on preference) the plums.
4, Gently rub the crumble topping ingredients together with your fingertips until they reach a breadcrumb like consistency. Scatter this liberally over the top of your cake.
5, Bake for 25-30minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before slicing with a sharp knife.

4 comments:

  1. Looks NICE.
    I might o similar with some rhubarb at the weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name of the cake ;-) and the photos make me want to head to my kitchen and try this RIGHT NOW. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the name plumble, far better than plain old plum crumble!

    I always struggle to buy decent plums though can imagine with baking them it improves them somewhat! It does look delicious, exactly the kind of pudding I like to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Secretly wishing I had tried it with rhubarb now Miss Whiplash!

    Thank you, foodandotherloves, it's so quick to whip up too.

    I'm sticking with Plumble Cake, Anne! My plums were looking a little wrinkly, but I've made it with apples and blackberries too.

    ReplyDelete